12 November 2007

Another political paradox!

I love politics. No I don't. I love people; I just can't stand most of them, that's all. Let's face it: politics is in truth a vivid study of the curious behaviors of the human species.

Today I understand that this last weekend several of the presidential candidates wrangling for the Democratic party nomination are accusing each other of being just like the current administration. HA!

The irony is, of course, that they're essentially correct. Bearing in mind that I was not a huge fan of G.W. Bush (I was a Steve Forbes supporter, myself), he has my sympathy for being in the precarious position he's been stuck in since late 2001. He was forced to do a lot of things he really wasn't wanting to do, contrary to the many rumors and conspiracy theorists' conjecture. The previous administration was quite content to effectively ignore repeated assaults launched against the United States after Usama bin Laden, the infamous 'UBL' who's been on the FBI's ten most wanted list since the mid-1990's, openly declared war on us. If that's news to you, I should point out that while his vast manifesto was widely publicized throughout the middle east, no one in America seemed to pay much attention. After 9/11/2001, ignoring the situation was no longer an option. We were hit at home, where it hurt. We'd kept a wary eye on Imperial Japan throughout the 1930's, but we ignored a number of small affronts across the Pacific until December 7, 1941. When Adolf Hitler declared war on the United States on or about December 11, 1941, we could've ignored it. And to a degree, we did. Except that German U-boats loitering just outside of New York Harbor and the mouth of the Mississippi river kept torpedoing ships and saboteurs were starting to infiltrate to cause damage wherever they could. Ignoring it was no longer an option, even then. Something, and something big, needed to be done.

What I've always found laughable is that whenever 'ol G.W. does something, he catches heat for it. Par for the course when you're the President of the United States. But, interestingly, he really gets heckled for doing things that the 'big time' Democrats would've gladly done on their own accord without giving a second thought to it. My father always had a saying about how those who scream the loudest are the guiltiest and have the most to hide. One thing I'll always remember about Dad, though, was that the people he criticized the harshest, were those who were really just like him. We used to have a neighbor who he absolutely despised, for a long list of offenses. What he could never see that was so obvious to me was that this guy was essentially a spitting image of how he was when he was that age. Is it any surprise that Dad's a Democrat? Hmmm....

A lesson I learned years ago is to be very careful about dishing out criticism, lest you bash someone for doing something that you do yourself. Not only is that very embarassing, it sure doesn't help one's credibility much, either. What I came away from that one with? Silence is golden, keep your mouth shut!

Does anyone agree with me that, actions speaking louder than words, the Democrat campaigners have just declared, "We have seen the enemy, and he is US!"?

Just wondering.

I've long mused that George W. Bush is so much like a Democrat in so many ways that they can't stand it. I know a large number of conservative Republicans have shared their disgust at his political posturing, which to them seemed pretty far to the left of where they stood.

I don't take party politics too seriously. After all, a person can call themselves whatever they want. If you don't act the part, criticism is the only recourse anyone has. Last I knew, one couldn't be excommunicated from either major party for not measuring up. Actions will always speak louder than words - you are what you do, and oftentimes employing certain words constitutes an action in and of itself. Accusations are a prime example of this.

People are fascinating creatures. They do strange things.


The TiGor

No comments: